Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Week 13: ROPES!


On Monday afternoon, we left for the PALs Ropes Course. This trip was originally scheduled for a weekend in February, but due to the 'snow' weekend it was postponed to this week. It was basically one giant field trip that was crammed into one day. We rode with the Elkins PALS on the bus, and arrived just in time for dinner. We ate pasta, breadsticks, and salad- not too bad for camp food! After dinner, we went on a Compass Course. The goal of the activity was to find your way to eight different signs posted on the back of trees, while using the direction of your compass alone. Our class was divided into two groups, and I was in Group "I". Luckily, my group had Ashkahn, the eagle scout, leading the way. We were dropped off in the middle of the woods; without a flash light and without any direction. The grass was up to our knees, the branches were poking in our faces, and these signs were nowhere to be found. I took pictures of wilderness elves, gazed at the beautiful starry night, attempted to assist in our challenge, talked in a 'Crocodile Dundee' accent the entire time, and stepped into a cactus that immediately placed hundreds of thorns into the front of my shin. It was burning like crazy, and we sat there and picked each thorn out one by one. That's what I get for walking in the wilderness without a light. After Group "I" accomplished our challenge, we arrived at the camp fire to make smorz and play a group game of Pictionary. Later that night, we headed to our cabin where all of the Austin and Elkins girls were assigned to sleep together. This cabin was more like a long hallway or an orphanage with bunk beds lining each side. I was one of the last girls to take a shower that night, so my water was as cold as Antarctica. Not only was the water cold, but the temperature of the room was set at about 50 degrees. I was shivering the entire night with one light blanket, and the Bush guys were outside our room playing ping pong until 4 in the morning. Needless to say, it was one of the worst night's sleep I've ever had! We woke up at 6 am, and headed straight to breakfast. Our day was divided into three activities; a high ropes course, a low ropes course, and other group activities. At the high ropes, I took LOTS of pictures and participated in the Screamer. I loved watching my friends conquer their fears and try things that were out of their element. I heard countless screams, captured lots of interesting faces, watched people jump off the pamper pole, and witnessed a few pairs attack the 'Partner Challenge'. At the low ropes course, we mastered a maze and shuffled through a "mine" while blind-folded, we crossed an Australian "swamp" effortlessly, and we pieced together the Zoom picture! The group activities came after lunch, and we were all exhausted! We took a personality quiz, completed a few more brain teaser activities, and learned simple leadership lessons. One quote that stood out to me was, "We judge ourselves by our intentions. We judge others by their actions." I had a complete blast with my PAL classmates, but after the group activities everyone was ready to head home! We hoped on the bus, clearly exhausted and needed sleep. We arrived back to the school at 7, and everyone went home. However, I scurried quickly over to the baseball fields for the Austin vs. Elkins baseball game!!!