Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week 12: Tar Heel Nation

Today was our first official day in the beautiful state of North Carolina! We started off with a big breakfast that consisted of French toast and homemade biscuits at the well known restaurant called Breadmen’s. Apparently it is a Chapel Hill favorite! We rushed over to Jackson Hall for our scheduled conference with an admissions counselor and a student guided tour. Last fall, I applied to the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill to be admitted for the fall of 2011. Sadly, I did not get accepted; however, I've been dying to visit this campus! Over 7,000 students applied from out-of-state, and they only accepted 900. Not to mention only 42% of 2nd year students are admitted to the business school-58% are denied! The state of North Carolina requires this university to accept 82% of in-state freshmen, and only 18% from out-of-state. That made my rejection letter hurt a little less. I kept joking throughout the day that UNC really is seeking me; they just don't know it yet! I am convinced they can't judge me by my SAT scores and AP work load alone.  If you took the beauty of UT and the hometown feel of A&M... you would get UNC. The campus was incredible and it won as my dream school. Taylor, our tour guide, was an annoying frat guy that was obsessed with talking about himself. He didn’t add any enjoyment to the tour, but I was preoccupied with taking pictures anyways. The girl to guy ratio is 60:40... that wasn't looking too good for me. They only have two traditions; drinking from the fountain and sitting under the marriage tree. I am convinced that UNC may have an outstandingly beautiful campus, but A&M has much better looking students! After our campus activities, we had free lunch passes to one of their dining halls. Despite our huge breakfast, the Engle's cannot turn down a free meal. We explored the city of Chapel Hill and I absolutely loved it. Franklin Street is almost exactly like Northgate, but better. They even had a specialty cupcake shop called 'Sugarland'! Once we saw all of Tar Heel Nation, we headed to the city of Charlotte. It was approximately a two and a half hour drive, and then we finally got to see Jason! We saw where he works and his apartment complex for the first time. When we walked into his apartment, he had posters hanging up that said 'Spring Break 2011' and 'Stop... Let's Party'. He baked cookies for us and stocked up his fridge with all of the things we love. I've missed him SO much and I was so excited to be in his city! Tonight, we wandered downtown Charlotte and experienced the city life. We ate at a restaurant called 'Dandelion Market'- which is basically a tapas bar that sells a ton of different small appetizers. Jason has a ton of exciting things planned for us the next couple of days and I am sure there will be plenty more pictures as “North Carolina 2011” continues!