Thursday, March 17, 2011

Week 12: Totem

This morning started off with prom dress shopping in Charlotte. I am convinced that I have tried on way too many dresses, and I am now immune to prom. After exhausting the racks in one store and finding nothing, I had a bit of a frustration break down. The dress I wear to prom isn't really that big of a deal; however, it was everything in general that brought me to tears. No crying is allowed in Charlotte! We grabbed lunch at Subway and continued our day with more shopping that had nothing to do with prom (thankfully). Instead, we were looking to purchase surprises for Jason. He had to work all day, so my parents decided that we should get him a few things to fill the big empty spaces in his apartment. We went to a couple ghetto furniture stores, until we found the Rooms-To-Go Outlet. While my parents were seriously shopping, Shannon and I were laying on mattresses, playing on dining room sets, and testing out couches. My mom found a reasonably priced leather couch and an inexpensive kitchen table for Jason. Since we don't have Dad's Tundra, we had to rent a U-Haul in order to get it all back into the city. We rushed back to his apartment with all of the new furniture and little nick-knacks just to discover that they gave us the wrong color dining set from the warehouse! It caused quite the commotion. Tonight, we all went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant called 'Cinco de Mayo'. Texas Mexican food is way better than anything you find in North Carolina... no comparison. Afterwards, Jason took us to see Cirque Du Soleil! This show was a combination of the circus, a live music concert, and a Broadway production. Totem illustrated, through acrobatic and visual language, the evolutionary progress of species. They had men on the bars, a circle of life hoop dancer, the unicycle and bowl Chinese girl act, the devil sticks, the scientist that manipulated atoms and molecules, the fixed trapeze duo that discovered love, the roller-skate act, and the flipping men on Russian bars. The set design, the costumes, the make-up and the music were incredible. I have no idea how people can create and design such an incredible show. These folks had WAY too much talent. My favorite part was the Chinese unicycle girls that flipped multiple bowls onto their head. Jason turned to me and said, "I can't even catch a jelly bean in my mouth!" Shannon's favorite part was the young men without shirts on... she thought the surfers were way cute! Totem showed us the fascinating journey into the evolution of mankind and was by far one of the best productions I've ever seen!