Thursday, March 31, 2011

Week 10: The Finish Line.

Week 10 has been insane... that's why my first blog entry is being published on Thursday night! After my spontaneous Saturday night adventure, I had to wake up at 4:45 am on Sunday morning to volunteer for the Memorial Herman Half Marathon. When I showed up, I saw Chad Henry! He is a player on the Austin baseball team, and I couldn't have been more excited to see a familiar face. He is much more reserved, so I finally got the opportunity to get to know him a lot better! We worked as partners for Mile 9, and called out pace time to the runners. I hope one day I can complete a half-marathon... I felt very inspired on Sunday! The rest of the day was spent working at 9ers, catching up on some sleep, and meeting with my prom group. The stress levels have been extremely high at school throughout Week 10, all thanks to prom.

I've been living my normal, hectic life- I am always on the go and there really is never a dull moment. I think this week I've come to realize that I've signed up for way too many organizations, activities, and events. I am stretching myself too thin, and I need to make sure I don't lose my sanity along the way. I always finish everything I start, no matter how many silly things are written in my overused white planner.

This week I've finally starting student teaching again since Spring Break! When I walked through the door on Tuesday, the kids bombarded me while cheering and screaming. It's those kind of moments that remind you of why you do the things you do. I told the class about that I got asked to prom. Ross, a short sweet boy, raised his hand and said, "Miss Engle, what's that boy got that I don't have?" It was the cutest thing ever. Avery, another little boy, told me that he would take me to prom (if I didn't have a date). When I broke the news to the class, he looked very upset. I went over to him and asked him if everything was alright. He sadly whispered, "I just thought I was going to take you to prom, Miss Engle." My little 4th grader's simply make my heart smile!

On Wednesday afternoon, we had our 10th Annual Commander Baker Softball Game!!! This is by far my favorite event that Austin High School puts on. They had Midway starting at 5pm, and the Student vs. Teacher Softball Game at 6pm. This is one of the few opportunities where our whole school can come together as one. The PALs plan and organize this event with the help of the rest of the school. FLO-SAIL had a "Balloon Pop" station at Midway, and a ton of other organizations brought different creative stations to the event. I'll never forget when I was chunking candy up to people in the stands, and I accidentally  nailed one girl in the face. I felt so bad, but what can I say... I desperately need throwing lessons! The game ended in a tie, but the whole event was a complete success!! We couldn't have asked for better weather or a better turn out. The night ended in a huge PAL group hug. We finally felt united and accomplished, and oh it felt so good!