Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Week 1: Goodbye PALS.

Senior Legacy Entry:
PALS
PALs was a program at Austin High School that made my junior and senior year of high school simply unforgettable. Our mission in PALs was to equip and empower ourselves and those around us to selflessly serve and make a positive difference. PALs taught me countless leadership lessons and truly made me a more well rounded person. We shared countless laughs and formed life lasting memories throughout my days in class. PALs participate in ropes courses, influence lifeskills students, plan the Commander Baker Softball Tournament and the dodgeball tournament, volunteer at Oyster Creek Elementary School, and serve in various other ways. My junior year of high school, Richard and Susan Lazarou were the PALs teachers. I was in the Prom Fashion Show PYPM group with Fazile. This show was a huge event that raised money for various charities. We had 40 models (20 girls and 20 boys) that represented a few of the organizations at AHS! I ran the show from “the box” and sent out plenty of cues. The Prom Fashion Show was one of my favorite memories from junior year. The people in our PALS class were incredible. We were one big ol’ happy family. We had plenty of different personalities and scattered opinions, but we worked together perfectly. We spent countless hours at HOT Hangouts and we were always socializing with one another. My fellow PALs were my best friends throughout my junior year of high school. Since that was my first year in the class, my passion radiated throughout the room. Senior year, Karla Lalendorff was named the new sponsor of PALS. There were plenty of changes, a few conflicts, and absolute craziness at times. I was in a PYPM group with Jennifer Thankachan and together we led FLO-SAIL- which stands for Freshmen Leadership Organization and Sophomores Advancing in Leadership. We met every Tuesday morning and gave the underclassmen an opportunity to advance in their leadership and serve at our school! I loved spending my Tuesdays and Thursday with my little PALs at Oyster Creek- Lizzie and McKenna! My decision to participate in PALs and show leadership was the best choice of my high school career. I invested in numerous individuals and I believe it paid off. At times I wanted to rip my hair out, but in the long run 4th period PALs was always the highlight of my day!